Expert Tips

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning With Heater Maintenance and Repair

If you haven’t had your home’s heater serviced in a year or more, now is the perfect time to do so. We here at Service First Pros cannot stress enough the importance of maintaining this household amenity that you rely on so much during the winter months. Dangerous carbon monoxide (CO) can leak out of faulty heating units and the consequences could be deadly. Let’s talk about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Why Carbon Monoxide Is So Dangerous

According to the CDC, 400 Americans die of carbon monoxide poisoning each year on average. The reason why this gas is so dangerous is that it is odorless and colorless. If you have carbon monoxide in your home’s indoor air, you wouldn’t know it until you started to feel sick. Many who succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning inhale the gas in their sleep and, consequently, never wake up.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is not without symptoms, however, and it’s important to have your heater inspected right away if you or anyone else in your household experiences any of the following problems:

  • Blurry vision
  • Breathing trouble
  • Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Unconsciousness
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

The signs of CO poisoning might be subtle at first if you don’t have a bad leak. Infants, young children, the elderly, pets, and those with weakened immune systems are affected by CO poisoning more quickly.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Prevention really is the best medicine when it comes to CO poisoning, and your first line of defense is the carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. Make sure you test them monthly to ensure they are working properly. You can also prevent poisoning in your home by

  • Making sure all gas appliances are vented
  • Using portable gas appliances outdoors only
  • Using charcoal grills outdoors only
  • Keeping your fireplace in proper working order
  • Using power generators outdoors only
  • Ensuring all vents to the outside are clean and flowing

Basically, anything that uses gas should either be approved for indoor use and vented properly or should only be used outdoors. Don’t tempt fate by using your camping stove inside, for example. Keep in mind CO is also produced by your automobile, so never start your car with the garage door closed.

If you’d like to schedule a heater service, give Service First Pros in Auburn, GA, a call. We’ll service your furnace and make sure it isn’t leaking carbon monoxide into your home.

Menu